Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
The Compact, similar to 1 kpc Host Galaxy of a Quasar at a Redshift of 7.1
Show others and affiliations
Number of Authors: 9
2017 (English)In: Astrophysical Journal, ISSN 0004-637X, E-ISSN 1538-4357, Vol. 837, no 2, 146Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

We present Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) observations of the [C II] fine-structure line and the underlying far-infrared (FIR) dust continuum emission in J1120+0641, the most distant quasar currently known (z = 7.1). We also present observations targeting the CO(2-1), CO(7-6), and [C I] 369 mu m lines in the same source obtained at the Very Large Array and Plateau de Bure Interferometer. We find a [C II] line flux of F-[C II] = 1.11 +/- 0.10 Jy km s(-1) and a continuum flux density of S-227 GHz = 0.53 +/- 0.04 mJy beam(-1), consistent with previous unresolved measurements. No other source is detected in continuum or [C II] emission in the field covered by ALMA (similar to 25 ''). At the resolution of our ALMA observations (0.'' 23, or 1.2 kpc, a factor of similar to 70 smaller beam area compared to previous measurements), we find that the majority of the emission is very compact: a high fraction (similar to 80%) of the total line and continuum flux is associated with a region 1-1.5 kpc in diameter. The remaining similar to 20% of the emission is distributed over a larger area with radius. 4 kpc. The [C II] emission does not exhibit ordered motion on kiloparsec scales: applying the virial theorem yields an upper limit on the dynamical mass of the host galaxy of (4.3 +/- 0.9) x 10(10) M-circle dot, only similar to 20 x higher than the central black hole (BH). The other targeted lines (CO(2-1), CO(7-6), and [C I]) are not detected, but the limits of the line ratios with respect to the [C II] emission imply that the heating in the quasar host is dominated by star formation, and not by the accreting BH. The star formation rate (SFR) implied by the FIR continuum is 105-340 M-circle dot yr(-1), with a resulting SFR surface density of similar to 100-350 M yr(-1) kpc(-2), well below the value for Eddington-accretion-limited star formation.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2017. Vol. 837, no 2, 146
Keyword [en]
cosmology: observations, galaxies: active, galaxies: high-redshift, galaxies: individual (ULAS J112001.48+064124.3), galaxies: ISM
National Category
Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:su:diva-142670DOI: 10.3847/1538-4357/aa62acISI: 000398745600001OAI: oai:DiVA.org:su-142670DiVA: diva2:1094659
Available from: 2017-05-10 Created: 2017-05-10 Last updated: 2017-05-10Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full text

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Mortlock, Daniel J.
By organisation
Department of Astronomy
In the same journal
Astrophysical Journal
Astronomy, Astrophysics and Cosmology

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

Altmetric score

CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf