Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Prevalence and cardiovascular risk factors of asymptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis: the Kongcun Town Study in Shandong, China
Show others and affiliations
Number of Authors: 152020 (English)In: European Journal of Neurology, ISSN 1351-5101, E-ISSN 1468-1331Article in journal (Refereed) Epub ahead of print
Abstract [en]

Background and purpose This study was to investigate the prevalence and cardiovascular risk factors (CRFs) of asymptomatic intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis (aICAS) amongst middle-aged and older adults living in rural communities in China. Methods This population-based study included 2019 subjects (aged >= 40 years, 52.3% women) who were free of stroke and living in rural communities in China. From October 2017 to May 2018, data on demographics, CRFs and health conditions were collected through face-to-face interviews, physical examination and laboratory tests. Asymptomatic ICAS was detected through a two-phase procedure: a screening phase with transcranial Doppler ultrasound, followed by a diagnostic phase with magnetic resonance angiography examination. Multivariable logistic regression models were used to analyse CRFs associated with aICAS. Results Of the 2019 participants, aICAS was detected in 153 persons. The overall prevalence of aICAS was 7.6%, and the prevalence of moderate-to-severe aICAS was 5.0%. The multi-adjusted odds ratio (95% confidence interval) of aICAS associated with CRFs was 2.40 (1.56-3.69) for hypertension, 1.91 (1.32-2.76) for high hypersensitive C-reactive protein, 1.68 (1.14-2.49) for diabetes and 1.61 (1.08-2.41) for overweight or obesity. When these four CRFs were aggregated, compared with participants without any of these factors, the multi-adjusted odds ratios (95% confidence interval) of aICAS for persons concurrently having one, two and three or more of these factors were 1.14 (0.52-2.48), 2.91 (1.42-5.99) and 5.51 (2.64-11.50), respectively (P for linear trend <0.001). Conclusions Asymptomatic ICAS is common amongst rural-dwelling middle-aged and older Chinese people. Hypertension, diabetes, overweight or obesity and high hypersensitive C-reactive protein, especially when coexisting, are strongly associated with aICAS.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2020.
Keywords [en]
asymptomatic intracranial arteriosclerosis, cardiovascular risk factors, magnetic resonance angiography, population surveillance, prevalence, transcranial Doppler ultrasound
National Category
Neurology Neurosciences
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:su:diva-179609DOI: 10.1111/ene.14144ISI: 000509288100001PubMedID: 31872951OAI: oai:DiVA.org:su-179609DiVA, id: diva2:1415396
Available from: 2020-03-18 Created: 2020-03-18 Last updated: 2020-03-18

Open Access in DiVA

No full text in DiVA

Other links

Publisher's full textPubMed

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Sun, Q.
By organisation
Aging Research Center (ARC), (together with KI)
In the same journal
European Journal of Neurology
NeurologyNeurosciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
pubmed
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
pubmed
urn-nbn
Total: 1 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf