Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Water storage in a till catchment. I: Distributed modelling and relationship to runoff
Stockholm University, Faculty of Science, Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology. (Hydrologi, hydrogeologi och vattenresurser)
2011 (English)In: Hydrological Processes, ISSN 0885-6087, E-ISSN 1099-1085, Vol. 25, no 25, 3937-3949 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

Although water storage is an important variable to understand the hydrological functioning of a catchment, it is challenging to estimate the total water storage in a catchment. Catchment water storage can be estimated on the basis of water balance, but this approach is prone to errors in the different water balance terms. Here, an approach is presented to estimate the daily dynamics of catchment-wide soil water and groundwater storage on the basis of groundwater-level observations, soil properties and an assumption of hydrological equilibrium above the water table. This approach was applied to a 6300-m2 till catchment in Southwest Sweden. The predicted mean catchment water storage between April 1991 and June 1992 was 210mm and ranged from 190 to 260mm. The estimated water storage followed runoff rates closely especially during recession periods. On average, 79% of the water storage was held in the unsaturated zone, and the remaining 21% was groundwater, but this proportion varied strongly with runoff and total storage. During dry conditions, unsaturated storage accounted for at maximum 95% of the water storage; during wet conditions, this number dropped to 40%. Copyright (c) 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2011. Vol. 25, no 25, 3937-3949 p.
Keyword [en]
storage, catchment, saturated and unsaturated zone, modelling, covered catchment, streamflow generation, gardsjon, soil, hillslope, sweden, time, flow
National Category
Oceanography, Hydrology, Water Resources
Research subject
Hydrology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:su:diva-67692ISI: 000297577700011OAI: oai:DiVA.org:su-67692DiVA: diva2:470870
Note
Sp. Iss. SI 855PW Times Cited:2 Cited References Count:37Available from: 2011-12-30 Created: 2011-12-30 Last updated: 2017-12-08Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Seibert, J.
By organisation
Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology
In the same journal
Hydrological Processes
Oceanography, Hydrology, Water Resources

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 29 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf