In 1520, Segovia's rebel city council besieged the impregnable royal fortress located on a narrow stone outcrop at the far west of the city. The cathedral stood just in front of the fortress, and the rebels demolished part of the church's structure to use it as a secure stronghold. Beyond the physical damage, the revolt demonstrated the peril posed by the proximity of cathedral and castle. Unsurprisingly, it was soon decided that the cathedral would be relocated to the city's main square. Deserted by its canons and chaplains, the old church was a ruin by 1562, while its younger counterpart was slowly reaching completion. Neglect coexisted with preservation: the first step in the construction of a new cathedral was the decision to move the building's cloister—stone by stone—from the old to the new site. This paper discusses the relocation, exploring its denouement and contextualizing it within pre-modern perspectives on heritage and architecture. In the early sixteenth century, the cathedral of the Castilian city of Segovia was relocated from the edge of the city to its main square. A new church was begun in 1525. Construction continued well into the seventeenth century, as the old building decayed and was eventually dismantled. Exceptionally, the cloister of the old cathedral was disassembled stone by stone and carefully—but not exactly—re-erected at the new site. This article explores the cloister's destruction and reconstruction from the perspective of architectural preservation and architectural history.